Common Metal Forming Technique
(Tool mark Identification)
1. Forging - The shape metal while hot and plastic by hammering or
by a forging process,either by hand or by machine.
2. Casting - An object at or near finished shape which is produced by
solidification of a substance in a mold.Pouring molten metal into a
mold to produce an object of desired shape.
3. Blanking - Cutting or pressing a piece of metal from a sheet.In
ammunition manufacture,the usable part of a blanking operation is
the material removed from the hole,usually a disk.
4. Shearing - To cut sheet or bar metal between two blades which
pass immediately to each other.
5. Stamping - To cut out,bend or form with a stamp or die.
6. Drawing - A process using dies and punches to simultaneously
reduce the diameter and extend the length of a cup-shaped metal
part.Used for both cartridge cases and bullet jackets
7. Hammer forging - (Swagging) or (barrel swagging) The process of
forming the interior and/or exterior shape of the barrel of a firearm
8. Extrusion - The slow forcing of material under high pressure
through a die reduce its diameter.This process is generally
performed in a hydraulic press. Lead wire used in bullet making is
extruded.Impact extrusion can be used to make bullet jackets and